Thursday, July 30, 2009

If you don't like spats, don't start one.

Ok, here are just two examples that provide a sample of what I mean.

Two weeks ago I put out a request for a 1-word description of me, which I needed for a questionnaire. You wrote that mom would call me fussy and then you said "princess dry me". First of all, I've never heard mom call me fussy and I don't believe you have the right to speak for her. Secondly, whatever possessed you bring up the dry-me thing? That was inappropriate. Facebook is not a private forum & that comment went out to people I see every day and to friends that I work with! I was so embarrassed!! How do you think it felt to have someone ask me about "this dry-me thing?" It escapes me how could you have thought that would be acceptable.

This is just one of a few instances where I was getting a string of positive comments and you followed up with something inappropriate and derogatory. It felt like you were slapping me in the face to make sure I didn't think to well of myself.

When I posted the NPR article about the rural medical camp I really DID just want to know if they have that problem in places with government run medicine. I have fb friends living in countries like Canada, France, Germany & the UK and hoped to attract their input. And I did get an answer to that question, actually. As I read the comments you left it became obvious that you had not even listened to / read the article!

I don't live in an echo-chamber of liberal politics and new-thought Christianity out here. I have some very close friends who are politically conservative and practicing different forms of Christianity or other religions than I do. And it's not that we "agree to disagree" or avoid certain topics. No, we embrace those differences and have a respectful exchange of ideas. I value how they see things different from me and receive the same respect. It has consistently been my experience that differences of opinion matter far less than comportment. Respect, kindness & tolerance frame my friendships, not opinions.

I know in the past that I have sent emails regarding religion and politics which endeavored to push my opinion upon you & disregarded your thoughts and experience. I was wrong to be so arrogant about what I think and truly regret having done this. So, for the past 2 years I've made every effort to move past how we are different but to honor your opinions and focus on how we're the same.

But, I feel alone in this effort. You always seem to be preaching at me or trying to change my mind. You seem to always be aiming to put me down - and I don't think you see it because when you say things that put me down you laugh like you think it's funny! It's not funny! I've never laughed!

Well, that's all I got. I'm on empty.

No comments: