Friday, May 16, 2008

Maybe

Maybe it was that extra piece of toast I stopped to make for breakfast. Nothing like warm peanut butter and mom's apple butter on rice bread. Maybe it was the fact that I needed to stop in the studio and twiddle a little more on that painting. Who knows the cause. Maybe it was those few extra minutes I clung to the pillow. But that fifteen minutes late going to the gym turned into 30 minutes late going out the door to work. It meant the trains were less crowded, for sure. Definitely more milk of human kindness flows through me and out toward my fellows when they are fewer in number.

Maybe it was the extra 45 minutes of sleep that I got last night, the book I read on the train to work or some happy lyric from a song that drilled its way into my brain. Could have been the weather, too. Ahhh sunshine. But I found myself walking down the street wearing a smile. Confident like I've just rediscovered my crown in a dark closet corner and finally dusted it off. This is the walk of a person who needs nothing, and knows that no one really needs anything. And once she needs nothing, she can stop feeling the pinch of not having it. Whatever it is. I've got all the it I can handle.

Maybe.

No comments: