Wednesday, August 27, 2008

North, East, West, South

She bored of looking at herself, herself not being the most interesting subject at all, and so allowed her mind to wander. Dangerous thing, in under a minute it was out the bathroom window, exploring the contents of the dumpster and investigating the phase of the moon.

It gets caught in places, the mind does. It gets snagged on a bit of corner and sometimes hangs there for hours, contemplating the situation. It gets caught in cameras when unwitting strangers take pictures of landmarks and catch my commuting self in their way. Months from now, as their cameras get gummed up and need repair, they will take the works to a store and have the sticky remains of my soul cleaned out.

I turn into a cat when no one is looking. Sort of like the crane wife, only feline. And instead of weaving fine cloth I simply catch mice. I got one just the other morning, in fact. It was still alive as I had it and I contemplated how to best kill it. Suffocate it in a plastic bag in the garbage? Hm. I did that already. Smash it to bits? Hm. No, too messy. Puzzled, I simply put it into the freezer. I’ve heard that’s one of the nicer ways to go. Besides, now I’ll have a mousicle the next time I morph.

Almost time to retire for the night. From the radio the democratic convention puts out a call for all warm fuzzies to step forward into this moment of history and be accountable. In her chair the stuffed chouette flaps her little toy wings with excitement. My stuffed animal and the 10 throw pillows would all like to vote for Barak Obama. The plants are holding out on their opinion until they hear more about the other side. The leafy ones, they’re fickle.

No comments: